Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lessons Learned

Wow! 2010 has come in and it sure is leaving it mark. I don't think this year will ever really leave my mind and the sad thing is we aren't even out of the first month. Well 2010 rang in and I remember tell my grandparents (my mother’s god-parents) Wow you guys see 2010 you made it to another decade, they are 86 and 87. As the days went by things seemed great, I was just recovering from an exhausting holiday season we took pictures and laughed. My son enjoyed seeing the grands daily running, hugs and kisses. They enjoyed his youth and loved to see him explore. Well Jan 12th came and so did the horrendous earthquake of Haiti. My mother’s mom, my 2 aunts and 3 cousins were all caught in the devastation leaving us in a limbo of uncertainty for about 2-3 days. Our family is recovering from it for the most part.
This morning started off simple enough, my son went to play with the grands. He laughed ran around, gave them hugs and climbed in bed with them. I could hear their laughter’s from down the hall. My grandma decided to go to a shower and shortly after, I could hear her calling my name. She was telling me she felt her left side going numb. Her face looked fine and I reassured her she was all right. She said she didn’t feel ok. So we agreed to call emergency response. They came and she said the numbness was getting worse. We went to the hospital I saw her for a second she spoke and asked me to bring something from home for her and that was the last thing she said to me. Things got worse instantly. The CAT scan revealed she had bleeding in her brain, a vessel had burst in her brain and she was having a bleeding stroke. Then the tube was placed in her throat. Next thing I knew we were being asked about final wishes, if we wanted a DNR. We were told that the neurosurgeon wouldn’t perform surgery there was nothing they could do to alleviate pressure on her brain. Then she was and still is in a coma; all of this in a period of 4 hrs.
I keep thinking to myself that can’t be it. Not like that. How can we just be talking and laughing and then this? I believe we're to learn these life lessons and I wonder what this month of January has taught me. Do we really learn from death? I have learned to take things slowly and to calm down, tomorrow isn’t promised and to tell people you love them. We make me wonder is I’m always saying I love you but I can’t remember the last time I said it to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment