Thursday, January 28, 2010

Explaining Death

How do you explain death to children? What age is appopriate to tell them about someone passing? My grandmother hasn't passed but the doctors have pretty much given up on her. They have told us that it it pretty much ineveitable at this point. My son is 20 months old. I don't think I should say anything because I don't think he would understand. So I ask the question how do you explain death? Also is it necessary for my 20 month old to a funeral? Being a mother is about providing guidance and support even when you don't know what to guide and how to support this. I pray and hope the Lord see me through this difficult time.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. Although we have experience deaths in our family, I have never said anything to my children who are now 5 and 2. I am not sure how often your son is around your grandmother, but if he has noticed her not being around lately I would not say anything. I believe he is too young to understand. I personally would not bring it up to him at such a young age even now with my 5 year old if it is not someone who is an intricate part of our life I would not mention it. As far as funerals, I think it would be fine for him to go, but take into account if he would be able to be quiet and still for such a length of time most funerals I have been to have been pretty long. I hope this is somewhat helpful. I too will pray that the Lord will see you through this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Latonya. Yea death is hard to discuss with children. He was around my grandmother alot but after the frst day of her not being around, he didn't pay it much attention. I don't plan on bringing this up either, I agree its easier this way. Thanks again for commenting and Prayer has been quite helpful

    ReplyDelete