Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nappiversary (Nappy Anniversary)


February 16TH has made it one year since I officially BC and started on my 100% natural journey. I have had my share of ups and downs. Well I couldn’t celebrate because I had tons of laundry, a rambunctious toddler and a house to clean. So last night I gave myself a deep conditioning treatment using Lustrasilk Cholesterol and added olive oil. I then added heat and a plastic cap and slept on it for a fewer hours (about 4). When I rinsed it out, I noticed some shedding (dreaded winter cold). However, I realized I haven’t done a protein treatment in forever so my scale was tipping in the moisture side, which isn’t so bad, but it was heavy on that side. Therefore, I decided to whip up something. I didn’t measure anything out because I was in a rush. While I had Giovanni Tea Tree conditioner in my hair, I added this mixture:

• 3-4 scoops of real mayo
• 1 egg
• Olive oil (don’t know exactly how much)
• Honey (don’t know how much)

I mixed these all up, applied to hair left it on for about 5-10 minutes. I rinsed with Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo (mistake, it’s kind of drying I should have used my Carol’s Daughter Tui). I made sure to rinse with cold water (didn’t want an omelet in my hair). I rinsed and then finished off with Tui Hair Smoothie. For the most part my hair feels great. I have slight shedding but I guess I’m ok. I’m going to blame it on the dreaded cold.
Overall, I can say that going natural was a great decision. I have learned so much about myself during this time and being natural has inspired me to evaluate different aspects of my life. I am such an advocate, always trying to convince friends and family to make the leap. I will admit it’s not easy and sometimes you don’t get it right the first time around. This is actually my second attempt, but the only one with a BC. One of my friends transitioned for about a year and then decided to relax, incidentally I hadn’t spoken to her in months, and when I did, she had given in a few days prior to the relaxer. She has decided to start her journey again. Being natural isn’t a hairstyle it’s a way of life and it takes some adjustment. So I tell anyone who is considering being natural to take their time, don’t get discouraged and be patient. Good Luck! As for me I’m sipping on Green Tea and hopeful to see many naturalistic (entirely: mind, body and soul) years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment