Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Being A Student


I am glad I have the opportunity to pursue my goals and further my education. As a young mother it is difficult to manage all of my different hats: mother, wife and student. Finances aren't always the best and you feel resentment and guilt. I know that sometimes I truly hate school. I wish I was already done and in my career. I feel guilty because when I come home my son wants his mommy time. He wants me to be able to play with him those are the times I resent school. While other parents come home from work and leave their jobs at the door and can enjoy an evening with their children I have to so much to do and worry about (I am aware that not all professionals have this luxury).
What I do when I come home is play with my son, get him down for a nap, do some cleaning, get dinner started, wash the dishes after dinner, give him a bath, watch 30 minutes of TV, read a book and he's down to sleep at 9:30 (I put him down later because dad works evenings). By this time. I'm exhausted so of course I fall asleep and wake up at 4am so I can study and do homework. Its such a balancing act. I pray the day I can just be a working professional quickly approaches.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a mother and won't pretend to know what you're going through. I just wanted to give you a word of encouragement.

    I'm also a student. I work full-time, attend classes full-time, and pay for school out-of-pocket. I can relate to the money woes not having time to do what you please; for you, spending time with your child...for me, spending time alone with myself lol

    I try to stay focused on the end result. Make a list of the new doors and opportunities that will open for you upon graduation. Realize that no matter how slowly/painfully/begrudgingly it seems you're moving, the fact is that you're moving.

    Stay encouraged and stay positive. Surround yourself with motivating and high-striving individuals. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hun... I know the feeling. Being a mom and student is such a balancing act, it's not even funny! When my semester is in full force, I wish I had less time to work and more time to play. I always feel guilty if I have to do homework instead of play with my son. And once I decided to put the homework aside until he's down for the night, I'm always really tired by the time I get to it. *Sigh*

    Kudos to you... you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete