Monday, July 5, 2010

Picky Eaters


My son is 2 years old (26 months to be exact). He is such a picky eater. It has been a cause for worry for me because his eating habits are awful. A few months ago, his diet was better. Nowadays, all he wants are Hot Dogs. Yes hot dogs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So I after searching Google and speaking to his pediatrician have been reassured that this is indeed normal.
What I have done is supplemented his diet various items:

Vegetables and Fruit: He refuses to try so I purchase either V8 Fusion Fruit and Vegetables or Apple and Eve Fruitables. They provide one full serving of the necessary fruits and vegetables. Fruitables has 1/3 less sugar and is only 70 calories. He gets about (2) 9oz cups of this juice a day

Milk and Dairy: He loves Chocolate milk so I purchase the NesQuik Ready-To-Drink 8oz bottles of milk, which is about 100 calories, 12 g of sugar and made with low fat milk. He drinks 2 of these a day.

Grains: It’s difficult to get him to eat from this food group at times but when he’s up for it, he eats about 1-3oz of rice for dinner.

Vitamins:I give him Flintstones Vitamins to supplement for any vitamins or nutrients he isn’t receiving

It can be difficult to get your child to eat all things they are supposed to but with some maneuvering, they can get the nutrients they need.
Although I have said all of this, I still suggesting offering your child a variety of foods and allowing them to try. Just because he/she doesn’t like something today doesn’t mean they won’t like it tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Good post! I love the Fruitables drink as well. My son eats fruits, but veggies are a different story. He'll only eat corn. Haha.

    Also, after reading this, I may talk to his pediatrician about a multivitamin.

    Have you tried Pediasure. My son drinks half of a Pediasure each day. That seemed to help when he was going through his pickyeating days, which comes back every few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried the Pediasure my son isnt to fond of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here. Pediasure - chocolate.
    Breakfast my sone likes eggo nurtagrain blueberry toaster waffles.

    ReplyDelete