Saturday, June 26, 2010

To Weave or Not to Weave

Ok...I think I have finally gotten a true handle on being natural. Most important things that can be done for natural hair is Moisture and Protective Styling (protein is necessary as well). I'm still struggling with finding protective styles that I like to wear. My protective style as of late has been weaves. I love the versatility. Wearing a weave has its advantages and disadvantages.

Advantage: It’s a good protective style if you are constantly moisturizing the hair underneath, which I do with SCurl spray.
I only leave my weaves on for about a week. Take it down deep condition my hair with Cholesterol use a leave in conditioner like H.E. Long Term Relationship or Giovanni Direct.

I seal my ends with Shea Butter, braid my hair up, and start again.

Disadvantage: People (I’ve been guilty of this in the past) tend to neglect their hair underneath. If you aren’t moisturizing your hair, the weave and thread are sucking out additional moisture making this an unfavorable environment for your hair. Not deep conditioning and not handling the weave with care puts extra stress on your hair.

Disadvantage: If you get a straight, weave and you leave your hair out. You are compelled to straighten your hair. This can lead to heat damage, especially if you aren’t using a heat protectant and straightening dirty hair.
Therefore, if you are looking for a good protective style weaving is an option but it has to be done with care. Just because your hair is natural, it won’t just grow on its own if it not taking care of, a weave is not a hair neglect pass. So good luck and happy weaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment