Friday, July 3, 2009

My Natural Hair

Natural, Natural, Natural it seems that everywhere you turn you hear those words being uttered. Merriam-Webster has approximately 15 variations of the definition for Natural I chose my favorite of these: living in or as if in a state of nature untouched by the influences of civilization and society.

This definition was interesting because it dealt with influence of civilization and society. In the African American community there are many issues that tend to divide us, issues that seem to affect mainly our race (don't get me wrong there are other races/countries that have their own issues of division) complexion issues, hair issues, class issues and the list goes on. I'm touching on one issue and that's hair issues.

I am completely natural (chemically free), this is my second time going natural the first time was 5 years ago and I got fed up and frustrated and decided to return to relaxing my hair so that it could be more "manageable" Now I have noticed on my natural journey there seems to be a divide among natural haired women and chemically relaxed/texturized women (not among them all). There are some Natural haired women who feel that woman who chemically alter their hair suffer from an identity crisis and these women are trying to live up to European ideas of beauty. Some of these natural women have been quite belligerent at times. In my opinion if a women decides to chemically alter her hair that's her choice and if she is happy with her decision then that's all that matters.

What makes matters worse is that now there is a divide within a divide (as you can see depicted in this chart). Within the natural community there are naturals who believe that a person isn't natural if she wears any extensions in her hair, if she straighten her hair too often or if she colors her hair. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I think its wrong for others to label each other as not truly natural. Instead of helping each other some of us are pushing each other away.

I do want to say it isn't the majority. Since I have become natural I feel as though I have entered some sort of society LOL. When I see other naturals walking down the street, there is always a smile, a connection. I am one of those naturals that like to stop a natural and compliment them. Its funny how something so seeminlgy simple tends to make a persons day and how forth coming these women can be with information.

At the end of the day you will be you and I will be me, but think to yourself is it really necessary to add another divide. Let break down those divides.

I have a task for me and anyone that's interested Compliment a stranger today, whether its their shoes, hair, nails, outfit whatever it maybe give a stranger a compliment, see what happens.

~Smoochez

No comments:

Post a Comment